Join us Saturday May 12, 2018 from 11 AM to 1 PM for a two-hour workshop to learn more about the AKC Farm Dog Certified program the Baardseth Ranch in Antelope Valley (Reno, NV). We will be working around livestock in a ranch environment. This is an excellent opportunity to build skills, develop self-control and confidence with your dog.
[button href=”http://revolutiondogsports.com/store/#!/Farm-Dog-Workshop/p/80176361/category=21874010″]Workshop Registration[/button]
- Greet the Judge
- Walk around the farm and a passive stranger
- Jump on a straw bale
- Walk past farm penned farm animals
- Walk over or through unusual surfaces, such as tarps, plywood or a metal grating
- Supervised separation in a crate or kennel
- Pass through a gate
- Handler feeds livestock while dog is tethered
- Reaction to another dog walking by
- Reaction to noise distraction, such as hammering, farm equipment, etc
- Dog approaches penned livestock on loose lead
- Physical examination from handler to look for plant material or debris
Does my dog need to herd?
Not at all. The FDC test is about assessing a dog’s ability to be a well-behaved and confident farm and ranch dog. There is no herding required as part of this test.
What equipment do I need?
You will need your dog, a four to six foot leash, a secure well fitting flat collar and your sense of adventure! Be sure to wear closed toe shoes appropriate for walking on uneven ground in a rural environment. Treats are encouraged in the workshop.
Will my dog interact with livestock?
In the Farm Dog Certified test, dogs will work near or around safely penned livestock. Exercises include walking by or moving near livestock as well as remaining calmly tethered while the handler approaches and feeds livestock. There is no direct interaction with the farm animals.
Save the Date! The Sierra Nevada Scent Work Club is hosting a licensed
AKC Farm Dog Certified test right here in Reno, NV September 9, 2018! Click to learn more.
Learn more about AKC Farm Dog Certified tests